09 March 2011

Hunger Strike at the 10th UNFAO ABDC Conference (4)

Day 4 – Official Plenary Intervention of AFA

I am Isidore Ancog, farmer from the Philippines.

I would like again to express my deepest thanks to the organizers and to FAO for inviting me here. It is unusual for us farmers to be invited to a conference like this, and be accorded the space tosay what I have to say.

But the conference report did not even express the points I raised in this conference. I am a farmer, representing a regional federation of farmers, fisherfolks, rural women and indigenous peoples that compose Asian Farmers Alliance. I expressed that biotechnologies particularly GMOs are being imposed on us farmers, right now in our farms. And that GMOs have negative impacts on our livelihoods as small holder farmers and organic agriculture practitioners. GMOs do not allow us to take control of our own resources. It fails to recognize our capacities to innovate. It is an insult to our way of life.

Beyond these walls, poverty and hunger still exist. Beyond these walls, peasant farmers, fisherfolk, rural women and indigenous peoples continue to be neglected and ignored in decision making processes and technology development processes. I am calling on delegates and FAO to address this gap. This conference and my invitation to this conference is a good start, but it is not enough. There is but a few farmers here. I propose, that FAO convene an international meeting of peasants farmers, fisherfolks, rural women, livestock keepers, pastoralists, and indigenous peoples, to discuss about the results of this conference, the implications of biotechnology, particularly GMOs in our lives and allow us to decide for ourselves the courses of actions to take.

With this, I formally lift my hunger strike. But rest assured that we will continue with our advocacy and vow to produce healthy and safe food in our fields, which we will all enjoy, as one people. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment